Head of Design
ShopDev is a full-service technology and design company specializing in software & product development and technology acceleration. We have 150+ employees working with enterprise clients and growth stage startups globally. We strategize, design, and build best-in-class digital products, transform teams, and co-create disruptive business models. We work as technology innovation partners with our clients, helping them adapt and thrive in the digital era.
About The Role:
The Head of Design is responsible for developing and managing all aspects of our design and creative output. It’s a leadership role, with accountability for online and offline design output and commercial success of the design and creative department. You will ensure design and creative deliverables are aligned to client expectations and executed within budget and timescales. It also involves working with internal and external clients, pitching designs, and understanding client needs. At times, we require you to develop visual designs, and at other times, be responsible for recruiting and managing multi-disciplinary third party suppliers as well as internal design resources. It will involve you using your best practice toolkit to implement new processes and practices to improve efficiency of the design and creative department.
● Managing the design team and freelancers as required and helping develop our people
● Influencing design led thinking across the business
● Lead concept development in relation to design and creative outputs
● Take a lead role in managing the design and creative elements of projects and be point of contact for
clients brand and creative projects
● Develop creative programs and design concepts that meet the business objectives of the organisation and
that advance our brand and proposition strategy
● Commercial accountability through accurate scoping and quoting of work
● Develop and manage productivity and to continuously improve the design team’s production capabilities
● Ensuring that design and creative projects are delivered on time and to budget ensuring commercial
● Work with internal teams to generate ideas for pitching and proposals
● Provide quality control over design outputs and production
● Establishing and developing best practice with the design and creative team
● Working with other team members to deliver projects and activity to deliver against deadlines
● Communicating with our audience, positioning of ClientsFirst’s design and creative capability
● Point of contact for liaising with external suppliers, such as printers and on occasion photographers
Job Requirements and Skills:
●Excellent organisational and communication skills and the ability to manage multiple projects
● Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography & limitations of online and offline design work
● The ability to storyboard or translate ideas to designers and others, influencing external and internal
● Attention to detail
● A strong working knowledge of online and offline design, brand development and the creative process
● Extensive experience working with (or in) ecommerce and/or technology companies.
● Track record in successful design, brand development and project management.
● Equal parts passion for the creative merit and the ROI return of any marketing initiative.
● In-depth knowledge of graphic fundamentals, print and web capabilities and marketing and advertising
● Strong persuasion and presentation skills; ability to work well with others and earn respect of team leads
and other key stakeholders
● Proven expertise and competency using multiple graphic design software applications, including
● Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash; QuarkXPress; and HTML. Additionally, should
be proficient in Microsoft Office software suite.
● Ability to lead design projects from concept to completion
● Ability to supervise and develop employees
● Experience with software including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
● Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
● Previous experience in an agency environment is essential
● 10+ years UX/UI design experience (preferably with recent experience in Enterprise software and/or
● 5+ years in a leadership role
● Proven track record in creating excellent brand and design work from concept to production